Friday, July 31, 2009

Black Bean & Corn Wonton Cups

Black Bean & Corn Wonton Cups

Found this recipe from Betty Crocker and made them for a Christmas party. They are very festive looking when put together, and taste delicious! However, there are some negatives. Read my full review at the bottom of the recipe!

Ingredients:

  • 36 wonton skins
  • 2/3 cup medium salsa
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 can (15.25 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • Cilantro sprigs, if desired

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Gently fit 1 wonton skin into each of 36 small muffin cups, 1 3/4×1 inch, pressing against bottom and side. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
2. Mix remaining ingredients except sour cream and cilantro sprigs. Just before serving, spoon bean mixture into wonton cups. Top each with 1/2 teaspoon sour cream. Garnish each with cilantro sprig.

My notes:

Wontons can be made up to two days in advance. Salsa mixture can be made two days ahead as well. Do not fill wonton skins with salsa mixture until immediately before serving.

Full Review:

First and foremost, I have to say that the filling for this is absolutely delicious.

The changes I made: I used ground chipotle powder (Penzey’s Spices) because I had no chili powder. I also left out cilantro as it does not sit well with me.

Negatives:
The wonton skins are VERY hard and crunchy. This makes for a difficult time eating this. The size of the wonton cup makes it impossible to easily eat this in one bite.

Suggestions:
Next time I make this, and I most definitely will, I will just use Tostito’s Scoops and the filling.

Spoon a little sour cream (two tablespoons maybe) into a baggie, cut the tip off, and squeeze sour cream out as if decorating a cake. It’s so simple, and makes for a beautiful presentation. Oh, and it’s about a zillion times faster than spooning the sour cream on.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like wonton-filled things either. I tried some chicken/jalepeno rolls from a recipe I found on food network and they were icky with the wontons!

    What about using refrigerated biscuit dough that you could split into the correct sizes and bake according to package directions? that would probably be yummy with the filling!!

    (arrien from LJ)

    ReplyDelete